TEHRAN: Iran’s Health Ministry has released new details regarding the health of Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei, saying he sustained minor injuries during attacks that took place on the first day of the recent regional conflict.

According to Health Ministry Public Relations Director Dr. Kermanpour, the 56-year-old leader suffered wounds to his leg and received “two to three stitches.” He added that the injuries were not severe enough to cause facial disfigurement or require amputation.

The statement comes amid growing public speculation over Khamenei’s condition and prolonged absence from public appearances since assuming leadership earlier this year.

Mojtaba Khamenei became Iran’s new supreme leader after being appointed by the Assembly of Experts on March 9, following the death of his father, former Supreme Leader of Iran Ali Khamenei, who passed away at around the same time he was injured in the attack.

Since assuming office, Mojtaba Khamenei has been making only written statements without any appearance before the public, unlike his father who used to address public meetings often throughout his three-decade-long reign.

As images of the new supreme leader started appearing in Iranian cities, concerns regarding his well-being began to arise among various observers and political analysts.

Supreme Leader of Iran Ali Khamenei had been ruling the country for over two decades after succeeding Ruhollah Khomeini after the Iranian revolution of 1979.

Iran’s Supreme Leader Makes Key Statement on Regional Situation

On April 10, Supreme Leader of Iran Mojtaba Khamenei said that Iran does not want war but would not give up its rights. This came amid escalating tension in the region and ahead of the US-Iran negotiations, which are set to begin in Islamabad.

According to Iranian official media outlets, the Iranian Supreme Leader said, “We are still waiting for an adequate answer from our southern neighbours to prove our brotherhood.” Furthermore, he stressed that the participation of the citizens in the demonstrations would continue just as it has for the last 40 days. In addition, he noted that they would elevate their management of the Strait of Hormuz to another level.

These important statements were made against the backdrop of the upcoming US-Iran negotiations slated to take place next week in Islamabad following the recent ceasefire accord between both countries.

ALSO READ: Mojtaba Khamenei appointed Supreme Leader, confirms Iranian state media

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts